Tuesday, September 8, 2009

My first beach cruiser

MiniMe got her first beach cruiser this weekend. I had been trying to get her to ride bikes with me for a few weeks, but she just kept saying she didn't like riding her bike. To her credit, her bike is a few years old and is getting a little too small for her. So I took her out to shop for a new bike on Saturday. MiniMe was very reluctant. Didn't even want to get out of the car when we got to the bike shop. Eventually I coaxed her inside (which means I ordered her out of the car). 

Once she sat on one of the cool, new, bright colored beach cruisers she began to warm up to the idea. And when the bike shop manager selected one that would be just right for MiniMe (not too big, not too small, not too expensive) and lowered the seat, she agreed to take it for a test drive. 

The humongous smile on her face let the bike shop manager know he's made his sale. We switched out the seat for one that was a little softer. Adjusted the new seat and the handle bars. Then loaded up the purple beach cruiser and headed home.

Even though it was sprinkling just a bit, I convinced her to break in the new bike with a ride with me to the park. We rode for nearly an hour. On this bigger bike, she can actually keep up with me. In fact, she passed me several times. 

"Mom, I love this new bike! It's so easy to pedal and I sit up straight, I'm not all hunched over," MiniMe exclaimed as we toured through the neighborhood. "I just love the feel of the wind in my hair!"

I guess having the right size bike really made a difference. Should have thought of that before. So now I have a new bike riding buddy and maybe I'll get in shape and put in some quality mother-daughter time, too.

1 comment:

betty said...

great exercise and so much fun for both! enjoy :)

betty