Monday, April 27, 2009

Perfect does not make memories Part II

Thanks to all of you who shared your own prom prep stories. Stepson had a "blast" (his word). Apparently, he was very popular as he danced with "about 50 different girls" all night long, reserving the slow dances for the one he brung, of course. The sweetest thing I thought about his prom experience was how he gushed about how "beautiful" the girls at prom were. Stepson is on the swim team, which has about 50 girls on the team. He is used to seeing them only at school and in their swim caps. No makeup. Hair wet. So the way he went on and on about how beautiful his fellow swim teammates looked in their dresses, hair and makeup was truly touching. I just hope the girls felt as beautiful as he obviously thought they looked. 

But the night wasn't perfect. Which I think is great. Perfect doesn't make memories. After running a little late but finally making it to the restaurant in time for his reservation, Stepson places a frantic cell phone call to Beloved.

Stepson: Hey Dad! How would you like to be the coolest dad in the whole world?

Beloved: Well, that depends. What do I have to do to become the coolest dad?

Stepson: Bring me the prom tickets I left in my car back at the house? I just realized I didn't have the tickets with me. Could you bring them up to the restaraunt so we don't run late to the dance?

Beloved: Well, considering we're now a half hour up the road on our way to dinner, I don't think I can do that.

Stepson: Oh, mannnnn. . . . 

Luckily for Stepson, his older brother did the hero duty and searched his backpack to find the tickets and then delivered them to him and his lovely date at the restaurant.

It reminded me of my first "real" date with a boy in high school. First time I got picked up by a boy from my house and taken out to dinner and a movie. Burger King then the early show. Only he forgot his wallet at home and I paid for dinner and the movie. He was mortally embarrassed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"reminded me of my first "real" date with a boy in high school. First time I got picked up by a boy from my house and taken out to dinner and a movie. Burger King then the early show. Only he forgot his wallet at home and I paid for dinner and the movie. He was mortally embarrassed."

Wasn't that a scene from "Fast Times at Ridgemont High"???