Thursday, March 5, 2009

Honor System

With the economy in the dumps, it's nice to know that the honor system is still alive and well in Florida.  You may not be able to get credit, but for a few dollars you can get firewood, produce, honey, jam, books, and much more along Florida's roadways and small towns. 

On my route to MiniMe's school there's a farmer who sells neat stacks of firewood on the honor system. Just pull up, drop your money in the coffee can and load your wood. Near Umatilla, there's a farmer whose stand has become rather famous. Pull off the two-lane road under the shade of a giant oak tree and choose a jar of fresh honey or homemade orange blossom jelly then leave your money in the can. In DeLand, the Muse Book Shop keeps a bookshelf full of books just outside the door. Choose one and leave a dollar, all on the honor system. 

We could use a little more honor system in this country if you ask me (which no one did). I'm sure you, my stalkers, oops I mean readers, know of even more examples of the honor system still in practice in the Sunshine State and elsewhere. I'd love to hear about it. Leave a comment and tell me about your favorite roadside retailer. 

No comments: