Friday, December 4, 2009

Weird Holiday Traditions

Everyone has their own holiday traditions. I have a few, but I don't seem to be able to keep them alive this year. One of my traditions has always been going to see the Nutcracker ballet. This year, I just haven't been able to work it into my schedule due to holiday parties & other obligations. But, keeping flexibility in mind (I've decided flexibility will be my new thing), I may have to watch it on TV. 

Another holiday tradition that was dashed this year involved decorating the christmas tree. For years, I've enjoyed having the kids around to help me decorate the tree. This involves forcing them to stop what they are doing and grudgingly come help me hang ornaments on the tree. But the really fun part is that we watch the Jurassic Park movie while we do it. Nothing says "holiday" like a few hundred genetically engineered dinosaurs! 


This year, I was only able to force MiniMe and Beloved to help me decorate the tree. And when Beloved put the Jurassic Park VHS tape in to play, the player ate the tape. Now it is a 15-year-old VHS tape, so it's amazing it's lasted this long. And I've been watching the movie during the tree decorating exercise every year. Just cause I'm weird like that. 

So with the Jurassic tape broken, and only one of my kids around to help me with the tree, we had to be flexible and find an alternative for our traditional holiday tree-decorating movie. Buffy the Vampire Slayer seemed like a good substitution.

I missed seeing the dinosaurs this year, but forgot how funny Buffy could be, especially the part where she realizes the secret weapon she possesses as a vampire slayer . . .PMS!

I'm putting the entire Jurassic Park DVD series on my Christmas list this year. Just in case . . . 

No comments: