Monday, January 26, 2009

Sugar Freeze

We don't often see prolonged cold snaps in Florida, at least not in our neck of the woods. So to have an entire week of freezing or nearly freezing temperatures was great. Great because it gave the kids a chance to roast marshmallows in the fireplace . . . .every night. 

We might use our fireplace 6 times a year. It just doesn't get that cold. And when we do use it, we take the lazy way out and usually get the chemical logs from the home depot. But this year, with the cold before Thanksgiving and the number of consistently chilly nights since, we've kept a stock of firewood . . . real wood . . .in the garage. So the kids have taken full advantage and have wiped out bag after bag of marshmallows every week. 

I get my firewood from a local homeowner who has an "honor system" for selling his firewood. He's got a large plot of land, almost a farm but maybe not big enough to call it a farm, and he keeps stacks of firewood out by the road for the taking. You just pull in, load your truck with a pre-cut stack of wood and drop your $20 in the coffee can. Sometimes, he'll even come out and help you load it. Last time I got a load of wood, a fellow "customer" helped me with my purchase. 
Some nights the kids have gone to the trouble of actually making smores, but most nights they just roast and eat the marshmallows. While I might be wishing the freeze would come to an end, the kids are on a sugar high!

2 comments:

R.Powers said...

You're making great memories along with the sweet treats!

Anonymous said...

At least I'm making them smile (and I'm probably making my dentist richer in the process).

We've been enjoying your photos from your kayaking trips!