Monday, March 21, 2011

Sunday at Marineland

I spent a gorgeous Sunday afternoon at Marineland. Did you know that Marineland (now called Marineland Dolphin Adventure) is the oldest marine attraction in the U.S.? In addition, one of the park's residents - Nellie - is the oldest dolphin in the world born in human care. She celebrated her 58th birthday in February.


I spent about 2 hours at the park and really enjoyed talking to the volunteers. There were 3 volunteers "on deck" while I was there. Two retirees and a college student. Their job was to answer questions about the dolphins and work with the visitors who were there for one of the "dolphin experiences," including a swim with the dolphins program and a touch and feed program. These folks loved their "job" and they agreed with me that Marineland is one of Florida's best kept secrets. And that's a shame.

I have a soft spot in my heart for Marineland since I visited so many times as a kid. It was the only "theme park" for miles back then, and even if it hadn't been, it would have been my favorite. This Florida girl was raised right - brought up to love and appreciate the dolphin (and seaturtle, too).

What makes Marineland a good alternative to the big Sea World park, in my opinion, is that it is an intimate, quiet park right on the ocean. You can stand on the deck under the shade of an umbrella and watch the dolphins swim, then turn around and watch the waves wash onto the beach. You can't do that at Seaworld. And if you want a chance to see (and touch) a dolphin up close, this is the place. Their classes are very small - no more than 12 people - and you get a lot of one-on-one time with the trainers and the 12 dolphins in residence. Plus, when it comes to education, conservation and research, Marineland leads the way. They've been the home of the University of Florida Whitney Lab for Marine Bioscience since the mid 1970s and were recently purchased by the Georgia Aquarium, which should ensure their viability for decades.

I'm hoping you will help me share this secret. Marineland, located on AIA between St. Augustine and Flagler Beach, is open 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. each day. You can register for several of the different dolphin encounter programs, however, you can also just visit and see the dolphins and enjoy the afternoon (like I did) for only $8.50 adults and $4 children.

Visit them online at Marineland.net.

6 comments:

R.Powers said...

I grew up in St. Augustine and Marineland was a fishy Mecca for me as a boy in love with sealife.
It is a unique place.
My uncle worked there and was an extra during the Creature From The Black Lagoon movie when it was filmed there.

I have been back since they switched to mostly dolphins, and it is neat, but I miss the fish.
That is great news about the GA purchase.

Greg May said...

GREG MAY of Orlando, FL says: Hey, Florida Native Mom! What a cool website! Read about my fascination with Marineland at www.florida-backroads-travel.com.

Florida Native Mom said...

FloridaCracker - remember the porthole windows to view the aquarium. Good times!

S N B said...

I also grew up going to Marineland.Thanks for adding Our Nature to your blog roll.
SNB

stamps_coin_banknote of Nepal said...

thanks for your nice Florida blog!! what are you doing in Florida? I think,when you see my message then sure you are surprise at me.I am from kathmandu,Nepal where was a big Mount Everest so I have my in your blog my inner mind filling if you come in Nepal you never want to back in your USA.I will request to you all your families.please come in Nepal.thanks for nice blog!!!

my address
laxmi prasad shahi
house no.163,lakhgalli
ward no.19,damai tole
kathmandu,Nepal.

Greg Nay said...

GREG MAY of Orlando, FL says: "It's just not the same anymore driving down A1A and not seeing those iconic arches of Marineland. And, yes, I do remember peering through those portholes as the sea monsters swam by - like the giant sawfish. Visit http://www.florida-backroads-travel.com/marineland-cornered-the-fish-market-on-originality.html